The New York Infirmary for Indigent Women and Children Hospital was established by [[Elizabeth Blackwell|Elizabeth]] and Emily Blackwell in New York in 1853.. The hospital’s name and location have gone through several changes since it was founded. In 1858 it was located on Stuyvesant Square. The Medical School for Women was an offshoot of the Infirmary
The New York Times
Ladies’ Fair in Aid of the New-York Infirmary for Indigent Women and Children.
This institution, under the immediate charge of Drs. E. & E. BLACKWELL, is looked upon with interest, not only in our own City, but by a large circle of friends in Philadelphia and Boston. The Fair, which was opened on Wednesday night at Dodworth’s Lower Saloon, on Broadway, to aid in its support, is marked by unusual featness, –, as, for instance, the circulation of a beautifully illustrated paper filled with contributions from eminent American authors, together with their photographs. The name of this paper is Only Once. Other fine specimens of photographic art are to be found in beautiful fancy studies upon cards, the reverse of each describing the sentiment of the pieces A collection of copies from master-pieces of DURAND’ MIGNOT and others adorn several of the tables, and exquisite specimens of fine art in all its branches are innumerable. The objects of utility were in nowise overlooked, as was manifest to the eye of every true housewife and mother. Baby wrappings of exquisite finish were collected upon one table, and among them was shown conspicuously a box of little shirts complete with yoke, &c., and richly finished with soft lace of a minute pattern. They were sold before the first visitors had fairly made the tour of the room. The young people seemed to incline naturally toward a certain table presided over by a spirit of cheerfulness in the form of a lady, who, it was observed, used the “plain language,” — for upon its surface were arrayed in tempting disorder, toys and trifles which are far from being “little things to little minds.” Some tea roses and leaves in wax are the most finished specimens of the kind that have been exposed upon the many stands that have been enriched with these cold yet delicate imitations of nature, in the successive fairs of this Winter. The sprigs that elicited the admiration of which we speak were the handiwork of Miss ADELAIDE BAYLISS.
Very valuable impressions of antique medals and bas relief, give some interesting results of the advancement made in electrotyping. At 8 1/2 o’clock the gas-lights were lowered, and people began to secure places from whence to gain a good view of the tableaux. The first of these was a scene in “Midsummer Night’s Dream” — Die second, “The Home Guard,” — the third, a scene from Lallah-Rookh, and the fourth, three scenes in the historical romance of Queen Eleanor and Rosamond, portraying, love, jealousy and revenge.