The Fulton Fish Market was one of the country’s first open-air fish markets.
From a New York newspaper dated 1831 (via Wikipedia):
In New York, there are a number of Markets. Those called Fulton and Washington Markets are the largest. Fulton Market is at the East end of Fulton Street near the East River…The first was formerly situated in Maiden Lane on the East River side, and was called Fly Market.
The original location of the public market on South Street was closed and the market relocated in 2005.